Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Intel 310 MSATA in ThinkPad Edge

I recently purchased a ThinkPad Edge 420.  I love it, except the slow platter drive.  It was nice to find out it supports the new MSATA SSD's.  I ended up purchasing the Intel 310 series 40GB MSATA SSD from New Egg.  They seemed to have the best deal and quickest shipping.


I installed the SSD in the small bay between the HDD and battery.  I had to find a screw to fasten it down.


Since this was a new computer I didn't bother backing up anything but the drivers and recovery disks.
The drivers folder is here (It would normally be C:)

I did a clean install of windows 7 on the SSD.  After installing Windows 7 I updated to SP1 before installing the drivers.  I read somewhere that some of the drivers are unstable before SP1.  After getting everything updated and installed I ran some benchmarks to compare the results.  I used CrystalDiskMark to do the test.  For what it's worth I tested the SSD with the OS running off of it, while the HDD didn't.  I also used a stop watch to time restart times and was extremely surprised with the results!  SSD - 25sec vs. HDD - 65sec

The benchmark results:

Intel 40GB MSATA SSD 410:


Factory 7200 RPM 500GB spinner:


I was a little skeptical installing 64bit Windows 7 on a 40GB drive but I have plenty of space for programs (after all drivers, SP1 and updates I have roughly 20GB free), and then I also have 500GB for all of my documents and files.  I did however disable hibernation.  The 80GB 310 series is supposed to be almost 2x as fast, but I was able to cut my restart time by over half with the 40GB model.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for posting. I have an E420 and I would like to run a SSD for my OS and retain the stock HDD for data. What SSD would you buy today and can you post a link for instructions on how to do this project. I am a total newb. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably get the same MSATA drive, or the Intel with 80GB. You literally take out the few screws holding on the plate on the bottom of the laptop, plug in the MSATA drive and your good to go. You will need a screw, I just used one I had laying around.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I found this one and was thinking about it:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYFV3W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

      I've replaced RAM on my E420, so Im comfortable opening it.
      It's just installing Windows 7 and the drivers on the msata SSD drive that I have NO idea about. LoL

      Delete
  3. http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_nocti_msata_ssd_review

    ReplyDelete