Sunday, November 20, 2011

Xterra Under Seat Subwoofer


I wanted to find a solution for getting a sub woofer into my Xterra with out sacrificing cargo space.   I found some plans for an under seat sub on a Frontier forum.  I converted his drawing into a simple Google Sketch Up file, and built it.  The under seat area seems to be the same between the Frontier and Xterra.

Here are the drawings I came up with based on the above URL:




I used 7/16" birch ply and carefully cut out the pieces on the table saw.  It was rather tricky coming up with a cut list.  The overall height of the box cannot be any bigger than the above listed height (even a 1/4" would make it too big!)

Once all of the pieces were cut out, I used wood glue and brad nails to hold it together.  Once the wood glue dried I sealed the box up with silicone.

Here is a picture of the finished box:


A picture of it installed (excuse the install mess):


It sounded great for what it was.  I felt that it lacked low end bass.  Before bolting the seat down make sure you do something to sound deaden the underside.  I didn't and the seat rattled on certain notes.  

4 comments:

  1. Karl - I'd like to order a winch mount from
    rockymtnx but I don't know how to contact him
    I've tried to register with new gen xterra
    but haven't had any response from them. Can you
    help?

    Thanks
    RGRADYL@PACBELL.NET

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to contact him
    I've tried to register with new gen xterra
    but haven't had any response from them. Can you
    help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to contact him
    I've tried to<aherf="http://shoppingforbabycenter.com/
    "title="entertainment worldwide" register with new gen xterra
    but haven't had any response from them. Can you
    help?

    ReplyDelete